Skip to main content

Guiltless Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

One more to go until Friday, readers! I hope you all are having a wonderful week. The weather has been spectacular and I am hearing it should last all through the weekend, which makes me very happy. Saturday we are celebrating my 30th Birthday (le sigh) I'm getting up there. But I am happy to hear the weather will be nice and we can all enjoy and hold onto the warmer air for just a little bit longer.

Last night I knew John would be home later from work, so I decided to make something that I could prepare ahead of time and then pop in the oven right before he got in. Guiltless chicken enchiladas it was. I had mostly everything I needed at home, but ran out for a few items I didn't have on hand. Like chipotle chili powder. I most likely could have done without since I had standard chili powder in the cupboard, but I figured I needed a little heat in this dish. Here is everything you will need for this delicious, guilt-free dish.

  -a pound of chicken breast shredded. I cooked mine in the crockpot on high for 4 hours and then shredded with two forks. Super simple. 
-1 cup of onions 
-1 bunch of scallions
-2-4 cloves of garlic
-fat-free chicken broth 
-tomato sauce 
-1 can of chopped green chili
-low-carb tortillas
-ground cumin
-chipotle chili powder
-salt
-pepper
-part skim cheddar cheese or Mexican blended cheeses
-vegetable oil
-enchilada sauce (I prefer mild or hot for some kick)
-1 can of sweet corn kernels (I also made fire-roasted corn for a quick side)


First off, make sure all of your chicken breast is shredded and set aside. I like to prepare chicken this way on Sundays so I can use for other things like chicken salad, pots of soup or taco night.

 In a skillet, heat some vegetable oil and saute your cup of chopped and minced garlic on low heat. I like to cook them until they are a little bit soft and you can start to smell a nice garlic aroma coming from your pan. 

I then add about half of my bunch of scallions chopped and my shredded chicken. Give it a nice stir until all is blended through in your pan. 

Next, add 1/3 cup of chicken broth, 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, 1 tbsp of cumin, 1-2 tbsps of chipotle chili (depending on how much heat you like), your can of chilis, a pinch of salt and pepper. Once your seasonings and chicken are heated through, remove after about 5 minutes of cooking on medium heat. Set you chicken mixture aside. 

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a deep baking pan (I like to use a squared one) with no-stick cooking spray. Lay down a sheet of aluminum foil and place your tortilla on top. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of your chicken mixture onto the tortilla and fold from both ends placing the folded side down into the pan. I typically get 6-8 enchiladas out of the mixture.

Once you have folded all of your enchiladas, top with your enchilada sauce. This sauce can easily be made with the same spices and tomato sauce, but I secretly like the canned version better. Its easy  and just as delicious, and usually very low in calories and fat depending on the brand. I used Chi-Chi. Once your enchiladas are topped with your sauce, add your cheddar cheese and the rest of the chopped scallions from your bunch. Tightly wrap your pan in aluminum foil and bake on your top oven rack for about 35-40 minutes. You can add black beans, Spanish rice or any type of veggies as a side.. I decided to take out my wok, get it really hot and throw in some corn kernels. Once you get a nice char, remove from the heat and plate. Its a simple and sweeter side to lighten up all of that enchilada heat.

Once all the cheese has melted, remove your foil and serve!

Tonight will be a quick ordering in night (most likely salads) since I am in the office today, but I am so excited to start sharing some hearty fall recipes with you especially my healthy mini apple crisps. Stay tuned, friends! xo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almond Poppy Seed + Lemon Loaf

Happy Spring? Yes,  the question mark is needed since we had snow on Long Island today and its April second! I'd say about six inches total, but we were happy to see the sun appear and melt some of it away. We started on some yard work this week and were getting the itch to start doing some planting, but luckily we held out for now. Snow days are always the best days to test out a new recipe and typically we like to try our hands at baking on these chilly days. We just received some of Kodiak Cake's  new Almond Poppy Seed Power Cakes Flapjack + Waffle mix. We decided to use this delicious mix for some baking and the results turned out absolutely delicious. Here's everything you will need:  Ingredients 3 cups of Kodiak Mix  1/2 cup of nonfat Greek yogurt 1 tsp vanilla extract  1 tsp of baking powder  3 eggs, beaten  4 tbsp of unsalted butter, softened  1/3 cup of brown sugar  3/4 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk  3 tbsp of lemon zest  1/8 cup

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Banana bread is always a go-to when you have extra bananas hanging around the house. Its perfect for breakfast or a sweet treat after dinner. Toasted up with some butter or topped with your favorite jam or nut butter. We whipped up this simple and delicious recipe in just about an hour (including baking time). Here is everything you will need for this lovely  Chocolate Chip Banana Bread: Ingredients 3 ripe bananas, mashed 1½ cup flour 1 teaspoon baking soda ½ teaspoon baking powder pinch of salt 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted ½ cup brown sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 egg 1 cup of chocolate chips Directions  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, use a mixer to mix the melted butter and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Mash bananas with a fork and beat in with egg and vanilla extract. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Combine wet dry mixtures. Fold in most of the chocolate chips, reserving

Lemon Butter Parmesan Pasta

What's better than some comfort food on a chilly day? We love making this simple pasta recipe that uses just a few ingredients, but also packs a lot of flavor and is guaranteed to leave you with a full belly. If you haven't tried BANZA before, definitely give it a shot. Its one of our favorite must-haves in the cupboard and packs lots of protein and flavor. You can find the brand at your local supermarkets and even Target. But, if you prefer to use something on hand, go ahead and dabble with whatever pasta you'd like! Here's everything you will need for this Lemon Butter & Parmesan Pasta: Servings:  For  2 Ingredients 1 box of your favorite Banza pasta (or whatever you have on hand! Cook as listed on on back of packaging)  1 lemon ¾ cup heavy cream 6 tbsp unsalted butter 3 oz finely grated Parmesan (about ¾ cup) Salt & pepper Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)  Directions  Prepare Banza: Bring at least 8 cups of salted water to a r